The Alliance exists for one reason - to end AIDS through community action, an ambitious but realistic vision.
We are building knowledge, mobilising people, inspiring leadership and allowing all voices to play significant roles in the response to HIV. Our experience shows that together we can achieve more impact.
We were founded in 1993 to support community groups in countries that were most affected by the global AIDS crisis. We offered a vision and a way of working that would put communities at the centre of the response in order to provide effective local solutions. We now work with communities in over 40 countries to take local, national and global action on HIV, health and human rights.
True to our beginnings
We believe the lives of all human beings are equal, and that everyone has the right to access the HIV information and services they need for a healthy life. Consider this:
• Millions of people still don’t get the HIV treatment they need.
• Among young people aged 10-19, HIV is the second leading cause of death, and the number one cause in Africa.
• People who are already marginalised, such as sex workers, LGBT people or people who use drugs are disproportionately affected by HIV. This is directly linked to stigma and discrimination, meaning people struggle to access the services they need.
Our goal is to end AIDS and we know that supporting community action is the best way to make our ambitious vision a reality.
- Vous pouvez en savoir plus sur nous et notre approche en français ici. (French available here)
- Acceda acá a información en español acerca de nosotros y nuestro abordaje. (Spanish available here)